Is Your “Free Speech” Focused on Your Mission?
What does free speech have to do with pizza? We’ll get there…We’re big fans of the first amendment, free speech and self-expression. I don’t necessarily like the phrase “stay in your lane.” But I do understand the value of focus, priorities and Deep Work. We want to be true to our mission and purpose at Foxtrot Family Law. We believe we owe that to our clients, our team, our own families and, most importantly, ourselves. (You read that right; we owe the most to ourselves, first. You can’t “love your neighbor as yourself” very well if you don’t love yourself, first. And, as we’ve stated before, you’ve got to put your own oxygen mask on first to help anyone else.)
I do understand that there are consequences for stepping out or speaking out…that there’s no free lunch. A lot of folks far more influential than we are at this point have encountered significant adversity when their speech, behavior and decisions failed to serve their mission. John “Papa John” Schnatter lost control of the company he founded after multiple politically charged statements well outside the mission of Papa John’s. As I like to put it, he forgot that he was a really, really well paid pizza man. Folks my age will remember a similar fate befalling the Dixie Chicks. More recently, a slew of kids who get paid millions of dollars to throw a ball through a hoop have had to wade through a Chinese geopolitical you-know-what storm.
That is not to say that we, at Foxtrot Family Law, are not political. We’re just “political” where it serves our mission to serve our clients…
- We’re against democratically elected judges who find it more expedient to rubber stamp DHR than fulfill their most important role as utterly neutral finders of fact in Child Custody cases and holding the government accountable to the law and its immense burden of proof when the government tries to take away your children.
- We’re against government bureaucracies who think their internal policies trump your constitutional rights to privacy and to raise your own children.
- We’re against outdated biases which favor roles, responsibilities and Child Custody outcomes based on gender and end up holding both sides back in our families and our society.
- We’re for due process; we’re for strict application of the law and the rules of evidence and for accountability among educators, DHR, co-parents and caring relatives.
- We’re for writing, saying and doing anything we can to help committed parents and caring relatives be effective in Child Custody cases.
Outside of that…we’re glad to just shut up and sing.
This article contains general information and should not be construed as legal advice for you and or your unique situation. If you would like to speak more about how you, as a Committed Parent or Caring Relative, can be more effective in your Child Custody case, please visit www.ThinkFoxtrot.com/public_calendars/ to schedule your initial consultation at one of our offices. ~SW, Foxtrot