top of page
  • Writer's pictureStephen Williams

What happens to my 401k in a divorce in Alabama?

Updated: Mar 14

Generally, in Alabama, a 401(k) account that was acquired or funded during the marriage is typically considered a marital asset and subject to division between the two spouses. However, this is not always the case, and certain factors such as when the account was established, how much of the contributions were made during the marriage, and the terms of any prenuptial agreement or court orders could affect the division of the 401(k) account.

One way to divide a 401(k) account is through a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO), which is a court order that instructs the plan administrator on how to divide the account.

The QDRO can specify the percentage or dollar amount that each spouse will receive from the account, and the funds can be rolled over into an individual retirement account (IRA) for the receiving spouse.

It's important to note that withdrawing funds from a 401(k) before age 59 1/2 may result in taxes and penalties, so it's generally advisable to use a QDRO to transfer the funds to an IRA to avoid these fees. Additionally, it's a good idea to consult with a financial advisor and/or an attorney who specializes in divorce to help you navigate the process and ensure that your rights and interests are protected.


If you would like to learn more about how you, as a Committed Parent or Caring Relative, can stand up for yourself and be more effective in your Child Custody, Divorce, DHR or Adoption case, will you CLICK HERE to schedule your initial consultation at one of our offices?


This article contains general information and should not be construed as legal advice for you and or your unique situation. ~SW, Foxtrot

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page